Friday 10 October 2014

Spare Time - Dressmaking!

I dont think i posted before - but in my spare time here in Vancouver - which is pretty much all the time - i have tried to get into dressmaking! I love sewing, but ive never been good at clothes. I can follow a pattern but altering it and understanding drape in fabrics etc is completely out of my comfort zone, well all the more reason to try it, i think :)

I bought a book by the lovely Tilly & The Buttons whilst i was at home, as a treat to myself after art on the prom! Last week i made the Megan Dress, which is essentially the reason i bought the book really! Its ok for a starter dress, but i definitely need a full bust adjustment and to make it shorter, into a nice long top i can wear with leggings, or just slightly longer and ill wear it with tights :)


Here we have, my first attempt! It wasnt too hard to make, which was the main issue i thought i would have. I had to shorten it because the previous length was way too long, i have strange thighs and can only do a just-above-the-knee dress!!

Also, i did buy a raincoat pattern last week! My sample laminated cotton fabric arrived also, so i cant wait to get my final fabrics through and i can finally get making that one! 

This week i also bought another Tilly pattern, a top i have been wanted to make for AGES! But - no spare time! Well now i can sew away all day if i wish!


Here we have, the Mathilde. Its got pleats down the front, big sleeves with cuffs and a cute yoke which i will totally be making in a contrast fabric im sure! Or embroider it.. ok now my mind is going! 


This pattern was a PDF purchase, and i printed it at the Staples store in Richmond, for about $4 which is like £2.50, so i dont mind :) 

I think ill be back to Dresssew in a few days to choose some fabrics for sure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird